Monday, January 25, 2010

The Quiet of Dawn

It's 609 in the morning. I woke up at 530. My father wakes up every morning anywhere between 430 and 530am. Even on the weekends, he's up before 8am. My family always gives him hell (with good intentions) for going to sleep at 8pm. Yesterday I slept the better part of the day. My Friday evening, although fun, was busy as was my entire Saturday. Yesterday was recoop day. My alarm was set for 630 this morning, but I woke up an hour early. I used to have to get up this early in high school to catch the bus at 615am. I never complained and never overslept. When need be, like my dad, I enjoy these early morning hours. There is something so peaceful about being awake when everyone else is still in slumber. It's different than staying up late. There is a different atmosphere and feeling. I feel rested. I'm drinking a cup of coffee and actually have time to spare instead of rushing like I sometimes do in the morning when I only have an hour... I've cleaned the cat box and swept the kitchen. I've made coffee and I'm waking up and it's quiet... I love that I hear nothing. All I hear is my own breathing and the tap of these keys. Even my cats wander around silently, and aahh there is the click and hum of the refrigerator. Moments like these put me in a good mood. I see why my father enjoys waking up at such hours, even if to others it seems ungodly. There is time for one to relax and collect their thoughts. It feels special. I'm in my world and there is nothing else to disturb it. No one is going to call me right now, or send me an email. There is no reason to watch TV. Maybe this is as simple as things can be... the gloaming of early morning is like life without technology. Today will be a rainy day. It will be chilly as the high is only 43. I don't mind though. I feel energy induced and happy. All is right in my world.

No comments:

Post a Comment