Sunday, February 21, 2010

USA For The Win?

I just wrote rap. I haven't done that since about this time last year and previously it wasn't written down. I was at a party and busted out some random freestyle I didn't know I had in me which earned me huge props. I wasn't really lookin' for respect, it just sort of rolled out 'cause I was in the moment.

I have the oddest thoughts in my bathroom. It's not just this bathroom, it's any bathroom. Mind you, it's not while taking a dump either. That time is specifically reserved for catching up on pleasure reading (because you all wanted to know that about me). Anyway, washing my hair, brushing my teeth, putting on makeup... that's when my brain will go to odd places. Especially brushing my teeth! Maybe fluoride has some bizarre thought enhancing chemical in it. So tonight I was sort of writing rap as I was curling my hair. I've been thinking a lot lately about the government and just the way life runs in general. I get annoyed with parents at the studio, parents in general who don't give a shit about their kids. I watch people make crappy mistakes every day. Selfish mistakes. How is it that the people who don't want children end up with like 6 of them, and the people who do want them have to desperately try or just don't have them? Well, life is like that with most things.

So aside from feeling for the youth of the nation, I was also thinking about my political stance. I was wishing I could have these kinds of conversations in my classroom, but unsure of how to broach it. My students teach me things. I want to know what they think about our current leadership. I want to know what they know about history and the government...

All of this started with me saying I wrote a rap. I guess it's poetry, but in my head I could hear the beat and rhythm; the stress and un-stress of syllables and certain sections. I was trying to do it in my head as I was curling my hair, (see, the bathroom phenomenon) and realized I was losing cool rhymes so I'd have to write it down. Once I got to the computer, 40 minutes later after playing some video games and being a little frustrated, I was able to remember and then just... flow. I think I sort of surprised myself because I didn't know I had it in me. Nor did I realize my feelings on some issues were so strong. I rarely share my political mindset with people. To me, discussing politics is just always a weird conversation to have because people get all bent out of shape. I think it's pretty obvious I'm liberal minded, but I just don't go spouting out my thoughts. So, I wrote a rap that is pretty straight forward and in your face.

I posted on twitter that it was likely to get me arrested, but I don't really think that will happen. I'd probably have to do a lot worse. Just having that simple thought thought proves the whole point I'm trying to make in what I created. Terrorism is a nifty tool! So, I have a few lines to finish and I kinda lost my groove. I think I'll probably post it here when I'm done, just to see what people think I guess. I'm not trying to sign any record labels or anything though. It's just another outlet for my many, many thoughts.

Buenos Noches!

No comments:

Post a Comment