Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Noises

I'm listening to the noises of my house.
The window air conditioner whirls and hums.

(I must clarify that it is a window air conditioner
because central units do not offer the same
white noise)

I'm chewing gum and listening to my teeth
clack together, a habit the dentist would
surely hate. And the squish, squish as
saliva mixes with the chewy substance
in my mouth.

I hear my breathe deep and steady, as my
nasal passages have cleared for the first time
today.

I hear my esophagus clinch as I swallow; more
than necessary due to chewing.

Click, pop. A habit that often warrants a "look"
from my father. Click pop.

My noises are metal dishes clanking together
as I scoop out cat food; the half empty paper
bag collapses on itself as I scoop deeper.

My noises are my rubber soles on kitchen
tile and a high pressure facet filling a glass.
The crack a pill bottle makes as you twist
the lid.

Metal on metal as a folding chair is readjusted.
Quiet clicking keyboard. My heart... my heart...
Thumps.

Buzz. It's time to run.

No comments:

Post a Comment