Friday, March 19, 2010

Estrogen and Glitter

I'm sitting alone on a Friday night. Well... I guess alone for the time being. I'm wearing a comfy cotton skirt and a tank top. There is a breeze coming from the window, the light scent of lavender from the candle and the hint of some herb... from somewhere. It's almost 11pm and I'm looking at my coffee table. There is a girl explosion all over this space right now. Xbox radio is playing Fergie, Rhianna, Christina Aguilera and the like... My hands are speckled with silver glitter. Glue, glitter, stickers with butterflies, in pinks, yellows and oranges decorate a easter blue basket.I have a glow bracelet on - it's neon yellow! There's body glitter, lip gloss and nail polish on the table. Maybe all women, all girls, are really girls at heart. There was something very joyful about sitting here listening to teeny bopper music and daydreaming about a boy, and playing with crafts and creating. I enjoy my femininity. I love being a girl - I DO like pink and I love to dress up and put on makeup. Underneath and wrapped in between my interest in cars, and computers and "boyish" hobbies, I'm really a very girly girl.

I'm sure some feminist who is trying to fight the stereotype is out there dying a little inside, but I think all girls, no matter their interests or sexual orientation, have that little spark that makes Daddy's spoil their them rotten. I'd like to hope so anyway...

Yay for glitter!! Rock on ladies!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment